The Contestants
In the left: round 16 winners Lulu Mae. If you take a few minutes to check out Lulu Mae's web presence, you'll be led to the conclusion that they're just about the nicest bunch of guys and gals to ever call themselves a band. They're pretty funny, too. Check out this promotional video showing fans how they've been preparing for their second round. It features some pretty amazing and probably unprecedented footage of a dude biting into a raw egg, complete with shell. Anyway, I checked out two other songs besides "Corallina," and they both had names straight off an Iron and Wine record. First up was "The Mockingbird and the Dogwood Tree," a song that was decidedly Decembrists-sounding right down to the accordion. A steady bluegrass rhythm and some pedal-steel bends give some Southern flair that helps set it apart, though. Next was "The Man With the Golden Toy," a song with a Celtic mood that features a lilting melody, mandolin, and lots and lots of drone-tones. This last one is undoubtedly my favorite Lulu Mae track that I've heard so far; the song is driven by a martial rhythm (think Fun.'s Some Nights) and slowly builds to an electrifying finish that effectively delivers that elusive spine-chilling tingle, the search for which is essentially the musician's quest for the Holy Grail.
In the right: round 15 winners The Paranormals. I didn't vote for them last time, but I can't help but like these guys a lot. They remind me of all the sweaty rock bands I used to love in high school - The Raconteurs, The Strokes, OK Go, The Fratellis - and of jamming way too loud in the basement, driving way too fast, and of having all summer to hang out with friends and do whatever the f*ck we wanted. It may not be novel or overtly original, but then again, it doesn't have to be; they're a rock band, and all they have to do is rock. Of the material I've checked out, "Figure It Out" is definitely my favorite. It's a fuzzy number that alternates through a Strokes intro, a thumping Jack White verse, and an airy Weezer chorus. There's even a surfy slide-guitar solo in there, and it all comes together to form a great modern-rock song.
The Verdict
As much as I hate to vote against The Paranormals twice, I'm going to go with Lulu Mae. I really would have liked to see at least one straight-up rock band in the elite eight, but I just love "The Man With the Golden Toy" too much to not vote for Lulu Mae. Plus, one of those guys ate a raw egg to get my vote, and that's the kind of dedication I like to see. If you're with me on that, vote here.


No comments:
Post a Comment