Translate

Monday, March 25, 2013

Music City Mayhem Round 19: Adam Burrows vs Vitek

The Contenders

 
In the left corner: round 6 winner Adam Burrows. Still loving this guy. I think "Just Another Adam" is a near-perfect folk song, but don't take it from me: here's what Lightning 100's own Wells Adams had to say
I think Adam Burrows is one of the best lyricists in this town, which is saying a lot in Music City, USA. At this point I have lost count of the number of times I have featured him on my radio show and I’m itching to spin more of his records. He has played our showcases and left audience members and fellow musicians alike in awe. This guy is the real deal…
I couldn't agree more. The poeticism in this song is on a level that's far above 90% of the singer/songwriters getting heavy radio rotation, and his lyrical talent really makes you wish there was more material to be had. Besides 2011's Tall Tales (which includes "Just Another Adam"), Adam's only other record is 2007's Never One for Silence. In case you had any doubts, let me assure you: it's also excellent. Check it out.


In the right corner: round 5 winners Vitek. Still loving these guys too, and I think was an awesome idea for them to release their new single "Sunbird" exclusively for Music City Mayhem. Apparently I'm not the only one: fellow blogger Larry Kloess of Cause a Scene called it an "upbeat synth-laden track" that he "simply couldn't get enough of." Unfortunately, I couldn't find "Sunbird" after their Round 5 victory, and since I'm currently writing from Italia, which is 6 hours ahead of Music City USA, I've had to settle for some other songs from their catalog. Settle is hardly the appropriate word, though, because their other offerings are excellent as well. I was surprised to find that Vitek, for the most part, sound quite different from the Vampire Weekend synth-pop stylings of "Sunbird." "Start With the First Name" is Galactic style funk with Jamiroquai-like dance sensibilities, "Shimmy" could be Explosions in the Sky feat. Curtis Mayfield, and "She Got the Night" is basically disco for funk fans. I was surprised, yes, but hardly disappointed; regardless of what you might reference Vitek to on any particular track, you can bet that that they're going to sound fresh, exciting, and above all...danceable.


The Verdict


This is hands down the hardest call I'm going to have to make. Adam Burrows and Vitek are two of my favorite contestants in the competition, and it's almost impossible to compare the two. Call it a cop out, but since I honestly can't decide between the two I'm going to spread the love a little bit and vote for Adam Burrows, whom I foolishly didn't vote for in Round 5. I'd sincerely love to see either contestant advance, though, so it's up to all of you to decide. Vote here.

No comments:

Post a Comment