The Contenders
In the left: Nashville's own Norah Jones - Shannon Labrie. There's really no other way to describe her: like Ravi Shankar's most famous daughter (that's Norah), Shannon sings with the kind of jazz-husky half whisper that sounds like it posses the power to turn a loud, crowded bar into an awestruck cricket-choir. Her song "Slow Dance" is exactly what the name suggests: a drowsy ballad that would serve as a the perfect soundtrack to a slow dance across the living room carpet. The softly humming tremolo guitar and lethargic drumbeat drive the song at an almost reluctant pace, and reluctant is exactly how I felt when it all ended. I have only nice things to say about this girl, and I that "Slow Dance" is the kind of ballad that every female singer-songwriter in town wishes they could write.
In the right: The Grass Root Kids, a self-described "music collective" with six members. If the phrase "music collective" conjures images of groups like The Arcade Fire, who are wont to materialize with a veritable Roman legion of band on stage, then you've got got the wrong idea. The Grass Root Kids have what appears to be a fairly stable lineup of six members, but like other collectives, they forego a frontman or dominant ego in favor of shared responsibility. In terms of sonic style, the Arcade Fire comparison actually works quite well; I expected a new-school bluegrass act in the style of Nickel Creek after glancing at the group's name, but was surprised to find a bona fide indie-rock band with strong folk leanings. To me, the GRK sound a lot like Band of Horses made some player trades with the Fleet Foxes, and hired a early-mid 2000's emo/pop-punk vocalist (tell me he doesn't reminded you of Tom Delonge during the instrumental break of "Boxes"). The result is dynamic, emotive, and highly engaging. Check out their video selection for a chance to meet the bright eyed members of the band (er...collective).The Verdict
Just in case this you hadn't realized by now, let me come out with it: I have a bias towards bands. This isn't because I think "oh, these guys have six members instead of one...I'll pick them!" Rather, I find that bands usually just have more ideas going into the musical pot, and therefore have a better shot at circumventing my attempts to categorize to them. Good music is hard to make, but it's not that hard to find. Good, unique music, on the other hand, is hard to make and find, so I tend to place a premium on it. The Grass Root Kids don't sound quite like any one other act that I can name, but they definitely sound like something that I want to hear more of. I was genuinely impressed by Shannon's near-perfect "Slow Dance," but the experience was also something I could have gotten from a Norah Jones record. The Grass Root Kids have my vote, so feel free to second that with a vote of your own here.

No comments:
Post a Comment